PDA

View Full Version : Simulator - Sim Inst Time Loggable?

Jeff S KDTW
06-07-2004, 14:21
Assume the necessary conditions (instructor present, etc.) have been met for logging simulator time.

We all know that time spent in a simulator does not count toward Total Flight Time nor Pilot In Command time. However, is this simulator time loggable as "simulated instrument" and/or are the approaches flown on the simulator loggable?

Soybean
06-07-2004, 14:49
Here's your answer, from the FAR 61 FAQ.
-----------
However, time in a flight simulator or flight training device cannot be logged as “flight time” or as “PIC flight time” or as “SIC time” or as “night time” or as “daytime” or as “cross-country time” or as time in an “aircraft category, class, or type.” Time in a flight simulator or flight training device can only be logged in the columns noted as “Flight Simulator or Flight Training Device” time and “Dual Received” time. And in most logbooks, the person has to write in the notation “FS/FTD” as a heading on one of the extra columns. And in some logbooks they do have a column noted as “Synthetic Trainer.”

Jeff S KDTW
06-07-2004, 15:04
I appreciate your help, Ski.

However, Part 61.57 perhaps suggests that at a minimum we are to log the approaches (to show currency) and perhap are permitted to log the simulated instrument time. The FAQ answer does not specifically address these two columns so to speak. Additionally, I think the FAQ answer lacks in completeness since it appears that logging approaches in a FS/FTD is necessary to show currency if those 6 approaches, etc. were completed in a FS/FTD.
(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:

(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft (other than a glider), performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions, either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought—

(i) At least six instrument approaches;

(ii) Holding procedures; and

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigation systems.

Thoughts?

martyt
06-07-2004, 15:08
I don't see any implication in the FAR that you *can't* log approaches done in a simulator. You just don't log the time as "simulated instrument" time, but instead as FS/FTD time.

midlifeflyer
06-07-2004, 15:36
From an FAR standpoint, you can log Sim/FTD time as "simulated instrument" time. 61.51(b)(3) "conditions of flight" mentions "Simulated instrument conditions in flight, a flight simulator, or a flight training device."

The reason we don't put the time in the "simulated instrument" column is more practical. Because in part of the way the 8710 asks for totals, we want to avoid placing non-flight numbers in a flight time column.

Most logbooks are set up to so that "simulated instrument time" column is a "flight time" column. Some actually call it "hood time"; others list it under the "Conditions of 'Flight' heading, while keeping the FTD or Ground traner column outside the grouping.

And, yes, as you already discovered, the approaches are definitely loggable.

Jeff S KDTW
06-07-2004, 17:52
Thanks Ski, Marty, and Mark.

Mark, you touched on the reason why my question came up--I ran an 8710 using Logbook Pro and the "Instrument Time" column was different than my column totals. The difference was equal to my Simulated Instrument time while in a simulator.