PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Props (Crusie/Climb)

indutch1
12-25-2006, 21:53
what is the difference between a cruise prop and a climb prop,, If I fly mostly within a 100 miles of my home airport in a 150,, would I be better to one over the other ?? Considering replacing the prop I have, there is no more room for adjustment or service .

RedBull
12-25-2006, 22:10
If memory doesnt fail...

Cruise = equals less HP, more cruise performance because of reduced drag.

Climb prop = more HP, less cruise performance because of more drag.

indutch1
12-25-2006, 23:43
So I would be better with a Cruise Prop ? I have the factory original on the plane now,, I wonder if there is anyway of finding out what type it is, or do they all come with one or the other ?

JimJenson
12-26-2006, 00:10
A climb prop is like running a 4.11 /1 rearend in you car versus a 2.73 /1 factory

Screams like mad out of the hole, but runs out of top end.

JimJenson
12-26-2006, 00:17
Originally posted by indutch1
So I would be better with a Cruise Prop ? I have the factory original on the plane now,, I wonder if there is anyway of finding out what type it is, or do they all come with one or the other ?

1) Loading is a consideration with pitch. A cruise prop will comprimise the rate of climb in exchance for a few knots. Loading is a huge factor. I fly a 172 with a cruise prop, but 9 out of 10 flights I only carry 2.

Engine condition is another.

If I ran alot at gross, I wouldnt have a cruise prop.

2) the prop thats on the plane should be recorded in the engine logbooks. It should also be one of the ones listed on the type certificate.