PDA

View Full Version : Can you build simple landing strip on your own land?

w@ntonsoup
08-15-2009, 12:56
Sort of a pipe dream situation I guess, but I'm wondering if it's legal to use your own private land as a simple landing strip? Or do you need FAA licensing, zoning, whatever?

Given the economy, we're considering buying a few dozen acres to "build the dream house" and wondered if creating my own little airpark is a possibility.

DCat22
08-15-2009, 13:10
Sort of a pipe dream situation I guess, but I'm wondering if it's legal to use your own private land as a simple landing strip? Or do you need FAA licensing, zoning, whatever?

Given the economy, we're considering buying a few dozen acres to "build the dream house" and wondered if creating my own little airpark is a possibility.

Your city, county, and state will have the most to say about it...

StarShip
08-15-2009, 15:37
I found some suggestions from google.

You need to advise the feds:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fc6028f12b6ae7a21884988cdae88b7a&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfr157_main_02.tpl

The FAA has some advice:

http://www.faa.gov/airports/engineering/

some more:

http://www.faa.gov/airports/northwest_mountain/engineering/airspace_analysis/

Also from someone who has built it:

http://my.execpc.com/~cjh/airstrip.html

Texas has a how to guide:

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/avn/avninfo/farm_ranch_airstrips.pdf

I think the locality would be the largest issue. Out here, it would have to be an allowed use under the specific zoning, or you would need a variance.

All in all they seem fairly common. I know two people with private helopads at their homes. Many local airports have a circled R in magenta, meaning a private airport, non public use, but navigational value.

Sounds like fun.

Greg Bockelman
08-15-2009, 16:17

Who's to say it has to be CALLED an airpark? For only a couple of operations a week...

A few dozen acres, unless it is narrow and long, won't hack it. Figure a strip 2600 feet long, that is half a mile, or half a section, in farming term. 40 acres would work, if it is 1/8th mile wide (660 feet) by 1/2 mile long (2600 feet). Might be kind of difficult finding a piece of property shaped like that.

On the other hand, it is doable on 80 acres. Just a matter of working out the logistics.

Bottom line, it has more to do with local zoning, I would think, more than the FAA.

w@ntonsoup
08-15-2009, 16:54
A few dozen acres, unless it is narrow and long, won't hack it. Figure a strip 2600 feet long, that is half a mile, or half a section, in farming term. 40 acres would work, if it is 1/8th mile wide (660 feet) by 1/2 mile long (2600 feet). Might be kind of difficult finding a piece of property shaped like that.

On the other hand, it is doable on 80 acres. Just a matter of working out the logistics.

Hadn't thought much of that yet - good point. So long as one chunk of the property is at least 1/2 mile long, it's feasible, otherwise it's not. Something definitely to keep in mind...

DCat22
08-15-2009, 17:48
Hadn't thought much of that yet - good point. So long as one chunk of the property is at least 1/2 mile long, it's feasible, otherwise it's not. Something definitely to keep in mind...

And the land on either end is compatible, and has neighbors that won't fight you tooth and nail. Heck, maybe find neighbors that would like "through the fence" access and love you for it.

(I'm still looking for a quite detailed thread on another forum about someone building their own strip. Also, plan to get a good mower. ;))

nmfire10
08-25-2009, 08:43
Who's to say it has to be CALLED an airpark? For only a couple of operations a week...
That's what I would do. Don't call it an airport/airpark. Just call it "ma field back over there" and land in your field. :D

w@ntonsoup
08-27-2009, 10:04
So assuming you're not violating airspace (or trespassing private property), it's legal to take off and land in a random field?

haulnazz15
08-27-2009, 10:23
Of course it is. There aren't any rules specifying where you can/can't land (military/restricted and other obvious locations notwithstanding). As long as it doesn't violate local ordinances and doesn't create a hazard to persons or property on the ground you're likely fine.

However, the condition of a seemingly flat field may present itself differently once on the ground as even small holes and bumps can turn it into a nice ground loop. I would suggest walking thoroughly through any field of intended landing and making sure you have the permission of the land owner to do so.