Difference in Props (Crusie/Climb)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in Props (Crusie/Climb)

what is the difference between a cruise prop and a climb prop,, If I fly mostly within a 100 miles of my home airport in a 150,, would I be better to one over the other ?? Considering replacing the prop I have, there is no more room for adjustment or service .

If memory doesnt fail...

Cruise = equals less HP, more cruise performance because of reduced drag.

Climb prop = more HP, less cruise performance because of more drag.

Comment

So I would be better with a Cruise Prop ? I have the factory original on the plane now,, I wonder if there is anyway of finding out what type it is, or do they all come with one or the other ?

Comment

A climb prop is like running a 4.11 /1 rearend in you car versus a 2.73 /1 factory

Screams like mad out of the hole, but runs out of top end.
        Last edited by JimJenson; 12-26-2006, 00:20.

Comment

Originally posted by indutch1
          So I would be better with a Cruise Prop ? I have the factory original on the plane now,, I wonder if there is anyway of finding out what type it is, or do they all come with one or the other ?
          1) Loading is a consideration with pitch. A cruise prop will comprimise the rate of climb in exchance for a few knots. Loading is a huge factor. I fly a 172 with a cruise prop, but 9 out of 10 flights I only carry 2.

Engine condition is another.

If I ran alot at gross, I wouldnt have a cruise prop.

2) the prop thats on the plane should be recorded in the engine logbooks. It should also be one of the ones listed on the type certificate.
          Last edited by JimJenson; 12-26-2006, 00:22.

Comment

Working...
          X