Google Earth Sectional Add-on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Earth Sectional Add-on

If you haven't used google earth yet, well...give it a try. it is an interesting program that allows you to view world satellite and topographical data on a totally interactive globe.

More over, if you are a VFR pilot, there is an add on that provides All United States VFR sectional charts
    as an over-lay (http://www.fboweb.com/antest/ge/intro.aspx?old=1 ). Also, three dimensional airspace is drawn, and current weather products are overlaid. You'll need to tailor the addon to your specific system, as the amount of displayable data is huge.

You may draw routes with the measuring tool, converting distances to nautical miles, then tilt your view to fly your route viewing terrain, and the possible impact it may have on your route. Then, you may turn the map opacity down to pick out visible landmarks from the satellite images underneath.

there is just one word for this type of free technology:
    Cool.

Below is a link to an exampe picture.

Sweet...thanks for the link!

Comment

Wicked, awesome, cool!

I know what I'm doing for the rest of this afternoon!

Dave

Comment

Despite what my wife says, COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY ROCKS!!!

Comment

Leonard, can you explain how to add VFR charts to Google Earth, that link I only found info on tracking flights.

Comment

Originally posted by krautfed
            Leonard, can you explain how to add VFR charts to Google Earth, that link I only found info on tracking flights.
            Just read down the page and you will see it all. Right in the middle there are links to the map overlays and everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonardMack
              Just read down the page and you will see it all. Right in the middle there are links to the map overlays and everything else.
              I finally found it, but when I click the layers to turn it on... no charts show up. I'm messing with it now though, think i figured it out. Just crashed Google Earth though

Comment

Originally posted by krautfed
                I finally found it, but when I click the layers to turn it on... no charts show up. I'm messing with it now though, think i figured it out. Just crashed Google Earth though
                Same problem here. The sectionals show up under the "places" when I check the box - I don't get any overlays. Any ideas.

Thanks

Comment

Adjust the overlay (map) opacity.

Comment

I had this on my older version of Earth, but this isn't working for me. I open the KMZ file (or whatever it is) and the layers appear in my places, but nothing shows up. There 3d airspace does, but not the sectional overlay. I think that was written for the older version.

Comment

I am using the most current version and it is working fine for me. I spent wy too much time last night playing with it

Make sure you are running in the Direct3D mode for the graphics.

Dave

Comment

Works great for me in the latest version too.

Comment

Great, you guys are going to make me waste half the day with this at work.....

...Maybe not, it works fine at the office. Looks like my home version is buggered up.
                          Last edited by Captain_8ball; 02-02-2007, 10:12.

Comment

By the way - I just downloaded to the newest version and that fixed the problem. If you are having trouble, under the help, there is an option to check for updates on line. Download the newest version and give it a try.

Comment

That's amazingly cool. What would be even cooler is a 3-D representation of airspace, airways and instruments approaches inside of MS Flight Sim. Talk about some training opportunities...

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X