Gust Lock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gust Lock

Does anyone know of a supplier for a gust lock that attaches to the hole in the yoke - for a Cessna??

Thanks

www.gustlock.com

A little on the expensive side though.

Comment

Ebay might be your best bet

Comment

Sal,

If you have the parts manual (I'm assuming that this is for your Cardinal) then you can look up the part number and see if CessnaParts.com has it. It should be a common item.

Comment

Can't you go to the welding yard and get a piece of stainless rod of the same diameter and a hacksaw and make one?

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman
            Can't you go to the welding yard and get a piece of stainless rod of the same diameter and a hacksaw and make one?
            You got a STC on that?

One of the NTSB reports dealt with a pilot who departed... with a "non compliant" gust lock still in place. I keep wondering how to you miss that during a preflight inspection... simple, don't do a preflight.

Very least... I'd attach a BIG RED FLAG to it...

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by roundrocktom
              I like the ones that actually cover the ignition so that you can't even insert the key without removing the gust lock.

Comment

Originally posted by roundrocktom
                You got a STC on that?

One of the NTSB reports dealt with a pilot who departed... with a "non compliant" gust lock still in place. I keep wondering how to you miss that during a preflight inspection... simple, don't do a preflight.

Tom
                Sure! Just put it in the vise and duplicate it exactly and attach the big red aluminum placard. unnngggghhhh... Tools! Mmmm! grunt grunt grunt

Comment

Looping a seatbelt around the yoke also works well. It has the added advantage of not costing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk233
                    Looping a seatbelt around the yoke also works well. It has the added advantage of not costing anything.
                    . . . and you don't stand much chance of leaving it in place when you get ready to fly accidentally. If I remember correctly, the Citabria manual recommends this method.

Comment

That's the one I'm looking for - it has a metal flag that actual covers the master switch and ignition key on my cardinal. Thanks for all the help folks.

Sal

Comment

Just stick a nail in there...

Comment

Originally posted by RockbrigadePC1
                          Just stick a nail in there...
                          Oh yeah! That's a recipe for disaster.

Comment

I couldn't imagine myself ever making it through a preflight without turning the yoke or noticing that it's still locked. I wouldn't use a nail, but I'd sure make my own with a pair of pliers and some red tape for a flag before I pay $140 bucks for one.

BTW, the seatbelt around the yoke thing works well too.

Barry

Comment

Sal,

I looked in the CD-ROM version of the FG parts manual, but didn't see the gust lock listed.

You could always chekc with a salvage outfit that has Cessnas, it should be standard equipment on any bird, healthy or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X