Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    brhanna Guest

Question Sporty's vs. King vs. Cessna Private Pilot Training Course?

I'm looking for feedback about the pros & cons of the various training materials out there. What have people used, and what is the best?

King? Sporty's? Cessna? Jeppesen?

Thanks for the input.
    -Brian

dkalwishky Guest
    I used King for my Commercial and Multi and now the CFI/FOI.

I like how they are layed out and operate. Never seen the Sporty's so I don;t know about them.

I avoided the Cessna course since it is made by Kind and requires activation codes from your flight school, seemed like a hassle to me.

Dave

You may want to do a search of the forum - this topic comes up often. I pasted my comments from an earlier thread below.

I have used the the King Schools test prep for my private, the Sporty's DVD course for my instrument and the ASA course for my commercial.

My thoughts are - the King stuff is purely test prep software. They prepare you to pass the written test. Their courses are not "ground supplements" on "how to fly". They are a bit corny, but they do a good job getting you ready for the written test.

Sportys was more like a ground school that had some test prep software built in. I liked the format much better that the Kings. Sporty's had much more detail on "how to fly" and that is what I wanted for my instrument rating.

The ASA Commercial program is more about passing the written but a lot cheaper than the King course. I don't think it is quite as good.

The Kings (John and Martha) prepared a course in conjunction with Cessna that is used at Cessna Pilot centers. I have heard some good things about it but have not seen it. (Jeff_S used it and I think he liked it).

My usual boilerplate - go check your local library. Mine had several shelves of videos and DVD's on flying. You can get a sample of several different courses.

Good luck

Jim

Here is another thread with more info . .

Thread

dreamwalker Guest
    I am using the sportys for PPL and like it.

They said "ALL you need to know". If you don't have a formal ground school. You need something more than "pass the test".

roundrocktom Guest
    Used the King School "Cessna Pilot Center" training material.

Bought the first set off ebay. Uh, activation code was locked, couldn't get pass lesson 7. DOH!

Bought the second set from Kings. You need a FLOPPY to access/update your records. Well, computer died and new one doesn't have a floppy. I bought my CPC material a year ago. Guess what, TWO WEEKS after I bought my KING CPC stuff, they started shipping new CD's with no floppy required (internet updated). Kings said "go through the CPC center for update... but I didn't by from my local FBO... but King direct. So Sorry, we will be glad to sell you a new set! I could see if I had an old set, but the sales critter at Kings want their commission NOW, and zero service after the sale. Sorry, last thing I will ever buy from them!

MORAL: Kings Cessna Pilot Center -- it is good, but avoid like the plague! Buy Sporty's.

Tom

dkalwishky Guest
    When I bought the commercial, Multi, CFI and ATP from King I ended up getting all the Take-Off videos for "free". I think for what I paid for all of it it was a good deal.

Unlike the Cessna version the only protection there is, is an alpha-numeric cd key that comes with it, just like any Microsoft product today.

Dave

Javiation Guest
    Did my ppasel though the CPC course (King). I liked it a lot. I found it was really bad test prep unless you memorized each word they said through their videos. They brought the basic concepts in good and really helped my flight training. It was a WHOLE PICTURE program. I used the Gleim book for my private test and got a 90 on it. As far as my flight training I took my checkride with 40.1 in the logbook. Even after I got my ticket, I still watch their videos from time to time to stay current. They are very informative. never used SPortys so couldnt talk about them.

Biggest downfal of King is their extremely corny humor. I take piloting very serious and if youre going to be funny, be FUNNY. Otherwise don't BS me with lame jokes that make training to be a pilot seem like a lame joke. Sorry, venting.

e=mc2 Guest
    Brian,

I am big proponent of self study. Especially, if you are familiar with aviation in general already. When I started training I made a list of all freely available resources for the purpose of the Private Pilots Knowledge Test.

All of the books that FAA issues are available for free download from the FAA's website. The books are to the point and there is no BS in them. The only two books I bought were FAR/AIMs and Gleim's. Besides that a good book on training like Kerschner (spelling?) is nice to have (not necessary). The one book that no pilot should be without is Stick and Rudder.

Having said that, I haven't given the test yet but I think I am doing good. I have been reading details about aviation, airplane design and piloting for many years before I started training and so it was a lot easy for me to go through the theory part. If you are not familiar with this stuff and would like it to be made easy then go with one of the DVD courses. Like someone else pointed out, sometimes the deals of free DVD's on important piloting topics is a really nice to have addition to your repository.

Good luck!
    e=mc2

martyd Guest
    I'm using the Cessna one now. I started last year with an older version with the floppy. Now everything is updated through the internet and King schools so no more floppy. Your CFI can check your progress as well what qustions you're missing on the tests from their computer

I like the layout and everything works well. You know exactly where you are in your training and what is coming up in the next flight. If your not flying at a Cessna Pilot Center you probably don't need to use this system because I believe it's geared for the CPC.

Martyd

roundrocktom Guest
    Originally posted by martyd
    I'm using the Cessna one now. I started last year with an older version with the floppy. Now everything is updated through the internet and King schools so no more floppy.
    Martyd
    Martyd,

How did you get the updated version?
    (I posted above how I bought from King in 1/2005... last of the floppy issue, but yet in 2/2005 was told I couldn't get the internet version unless I bought a new CPC?).

Thanks,

Tom

Savate Guest
    Howdy...can I jump in with my related question?

I've done a formal ground school, but it could be another year before I start flying lessons again.

Which set is best for someone like me (maybe more of a "pass the test" type?)

Originally posted by Savate
    Howdy...can I jump in with my related question?

I've done a formal ground school, but it could be another year before I start flying lessons again.

Which set is best for someone like me (maybe more of a "pass the test" type?)
    As I mentioned above, the King set is strictly geared to passing the written test. It is also worth restating to check the library. Mine has lots of video tapes (and a few DVD's) on aviation. It is a good way to stay connected while you are not flying.

Jim

martyd Guest
    Tom,

My CFI gave the two set-up cd's version 5.1, after loading them I just use my login and password, no floppy needed. I fly at a Cessna Pilot Center and my CFI didn't say anything about having to buy the whole set.

The new version loaded and worked fine with version 3.1 that I already had. I'd do some more checking and see if you can score them.

Good luck,

Martyd

Javiation Guest
    Originally posted by Jim
    As I mentioned above, the King set is strictly geared to passing the written test. It is also worth restating to check the library. Mine has lots of video tapes (and a few DVD's) on aviation. It is a good way to stay connected while you are not flying.

Jim
    My CPC course was far from only teaching to pass the written test. In fact I needed Gleim to ace the test. The CPC really gave me the whole picture. I learned a lot. Tons mroe than passaing the test.

My CPC course was far from only teaching to pass the written test. In fact I needed Gleim to ace the test.
    The Cessna/King (CPC) course is not pure test-prep, it is a combined ground/air curriculum, and is much lighter on the test-prep as compared to the King (non-CPC) course. It's not completely unreasonable to use them both, though of course there's some overlap.
    -harry