squale Guest

Question How to change address on your Student Pilot Certificate?

I moved to a new house about a year ago (haven't flown in a year), but my student pilot certificate still has my OLD address on it. I am now going to resume my flight training and was wondering a couple things...

1.) Do I NEED to update my address on my student pilot certificate? or can I just wait to get my PPL and then give the new/current address then?

2.) How do I go about updating my student pilot certificate?

Thanks!

Thanks

N29RA Guest

Re: How to change address on your Student Pilot Certificate?

Originally posted by squale
    I moved to a new house about a year ago (haven't flown in a year), but my student pilot certificate still has my OLD address on it.

1.) Do I NEED to update my address on my student pilot certificate? or can I just wait to get my PPL and then give the new/current address then?
    You'll need to update your address before the examiner will finish up the 8710-1 with your new address. I ran into that problem in California. The DE made me update my address on the FAA website before I could start my multi-engine checkride.

But then I guess every DE could be different.

Technically your student pilot certificate isn't valid since it's been over 90 days since your address changed. The physical address on your pilot certificate doesn't have to reflect the current one but the address that the FAA has in their records has to be current.

jhappel Guest
    So Jeff, what took you so long to respond?

Thanks
    Originally posted by jhappel
    So Jeff, what took you so long to respond?
    I was waiting for you to "welcome" him back.

jhappel Guest
    Originally posted by Jeff S KDTW
    I was waiting for you to "welcome" him back.
    squale - Welcome back! ! !

Thanks

Re: Re: How to change address on your Student Pilot Certificate?

Originally posted by N29RA
    You'll need to update your address before the examiner will finish up the 8710-1 with your new address. I ran into that problem in California.
    Ugh. This was a pain for me. A little over a year earlier I was convinced I was going to med school in Ohio and got an Ohio driver's license using my buddy's address as my home address. I thought I was smart in trying to "beat the system" and getting an Ohio license to qualify for in state tution sooner. Months later I decided not to go, forgot about the license and regular life took over. A while later I'm ready for my checkride and needed to update my Colorado license for the reasons N29RA mentioned. I go to the DMV and they say, "We have record you moved to Ohio a couple years ago..." Oops. I out-smarted myself. I had to change it back to Colorado, which required a birth certificate. My birth certificate is from Puerto Rico and required going through the county's investigation division, which delayed things even more. I had to show it in person to the investigation division, they made a copy, sent it to Puerto Rico for verification (all this had to be translated between english and spanish), got it sent back to Colorado through the investigations division, then finally to the DMV with approval. All the while I'm driving around without a valid Colorado driver's license, yet a Colorado permanent address. I almost didn't get all of this all done in time for my checkride and nearly had to reschedule. Not fun.