Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    squale Guest

C150 Continental O-200 engine overhaul price?

Trying to get a good idea of what a major overhaul on this engine will cost including all the removal and installation work. I live in the NY, NJ area.

I found a nice 1967 150G with 1540 hours on the engine since factory re-manufacture and 5140 hours total time. The sellers say the engine will definately go well past the 1800 hour TBO, but I don't know if I can count on that. How long do these engines usually go before a major overhaul is needed?

Thanks, the engine is my only real concern with buying this plane. The exterior/paint/glass look good, not sure how old the paint is but it's a little faded on the top of the plane but the sides look more shiny. The interior is pretty nice, might some of the paneling on the doors are cracked but nothing too big a deal. It has just standard avionics, 1 VOR, transponder mode C, KX170B nav/com

I can get the plane for about 15K, not sure if that's a good deal or not, the VREF is like $11,500 on the plane but I think this plane is in pretty good shape..

roundrocktom Guest
    ANYTHING that flies seems to fetch $15K these days.

I'm too big (6'3" 275#) to get into a C150 and leave room for a passenger and fuel, but look at it this way. You could probably fly it for 250 hours and STILL sell if for $12,500 near TBO.

I would pay a trusted mechanic to do a compression check and bore scope inspection to make sure everything looks good.

If the engine does give out... (not likely) but it would still fetch close to $10K for it.

Yes, a R&R may run around $10K... but with a low time engine and little TLC, it would be a $22K plane...

For me, finally realized if I DON't buy a new 'burban, and start working evenings and weekends in the shop... a new four seater is possible!

Tom

squale Guest
    I just talked to an A&P and he said an overhaul is going to cost about 20K on that engine, that seems a bit too high for me, he uses Mattituck overhauls too..

where can you get a major overhaul done for only 10K?

how much is just a top overhaul instead? and how long can you fly with a top overhaul?

smccrory Guest
    $20k sounds extremely high for an O-200. You should be able to pick up a new engine for that. 2 years ago my instructor was quoted $15k for a factory overhauled O-200 and $13,500 to overhaul his. He went the cheaper route and had to wait 3 months to get his plane back. Doing it over again, he wouldn't think twice about the factory option.

As for how long an engine will last? Who know. Maybe 1500, maybe 2500 - depends on too many factors. From what I take, most smart owners use the TBO number for engine reserve calculations and then wait until the compression numbers say it's time.
    Last edited by smccrory; 01-31-2006 at 16:21.

squale Guest
    when you get a factory overhauled engine, do they restart the time since new for the engine? for instance, this plane I am looking at has 1540 hours on the engine since factory remanufacture, so does that mean that the total time on the engine is only 1540?

I would assume a factory remanufacturer is better than a Mattituck overhaul or any other overhaul for that matter?

roundrocktom Guest
    Squale,

AvWeb has had a series of articles. One was the "zero time factory rebuilt". Basically the engine is built from a pile of known good parts (that passed inspection, were yellow tagged - i.e. signed off as OK to return to service) and put on the shelf. Well that crank might have had 3000 hours, that case only 1200 hours, that cam... so on, and so forth. Since there is no standard the engine is sold a "zero time" engine. Big difference
    compared to "3500 hours total time, 1500 hours SMOH".

http://www.avweb.com/news/usedacft/189377-1.html
    (explains a few thing, but not the article I was looking for).

Tom

technomayor Guest
    FWIW - AOPA's Vref says...

Fac. Remanufactured $18,299.00
    Overhaul $16,000.00

roundrocktom Guest
    Originally posted by technomayor
    FWIW - AOPA's Vref says...

Fac. Remanufactured $18,299.00
    Overhaul $16,000.00

There is one fellow building A-65 engines with 0-200 jugs for around $6K. I suspect he has more than enough business, but does boggle the mind. EAA LSA -- not certified aircraft, but does make me wonder what is so expensive on the 0-200.

Tom

squale Guest
    so being this plane has a 1540 hour engine since factory remanufacture, that means total time on this engine since new is also 1540 hours?

does this command a higher selling price then say an engine that has 1540 hours SMOH but 3000 hours total time since new?

what engine do you think is the better choice and more reliable?

Shop around. A quick call to Airmark will answer your questions.

SteveR Guest
    Originally posted by roundrocktom

There is one fellow building A-65 engines with 0-200 jugs for around $6K. I suspect he has more than enough business, but does boggle the mind. EAA LSA -- not certified aircraft, but does make me wonder what is so expensive on the 0-200.

Tom
    The A-65 & O-200 are very similar. The difference between the $6k A-65 overhaul and the $14k O-200 overhaul is likely that one is a budget, "bare-bones" overhaul by a guy who is doing it half for fun, and the other is by a shop who is likely returning everything to factory new specs and trying to make a profit. An engine can be overhauled, and parts within service limits reused. This will save money on parts, but that engine is less likely to make it to TBO than an engine that is returned to new tolerances.

I'd expect to pay $10k-$12k for an O-200 overhaul, and not much less for an A-65. Factory remans are around $18k, and a little over $20k for a factory new O-200. A decent engine shop can do a good overhaul, but do your homework on them first. Get some information on them from people that know.

I was in a 172 that went down because a shop used the wrong keepers on the valves. The engine sucked an intake valve in cruise flight, and 60 seconds later we were on the ground scratching our heads. That was an ~$18k (overhaul cost), 80 SMOH O-320. Reduced to about $10 in scrap aluminum by a mechanic who didn't care. Not to mention how lucky we were to make it out OK. So what I'm saying is, get to know the shop who is building your engine, BEFORE you let them build your engine. Check their reputation with people you know and people you don't know. Or, just pay the extra 30% or so for a factory reman. It'll help the value of the plane...not a lot, but it will make a difference.

Originally posted by squale
    so being this plane has a 1540 hour engine since factory remanufacture, that means total time on this engine since new is also 1540 hours?

does this command a higher selling price then say an engine that has 1540 hours SMOH but 3000 hours total time since new?

what engine do you think is the better choice and more reliable?
    It depends on the situation. A 1500 hrs. engine could have come with the plane from the factory back in the 60's and not flown much. The plane could also have gotten a "new" engine, and flown 1500 in the last year flying pipeline.
    2 engines having flown the same number of hours, but it's 1500 completely different hours.

I'm afraid that you are using your heart more than you head. While I can understand the need to get something now when your heart desire it, it's not always the smart choice. You're obviously using your head since you're asking all these questions to us, but you seem awfully close from buying something without being knowledgeable. Hopefully you'll come out well and learn from ownership, but with all the horrors stories I've heard, I'm scared that you may be in for an expensive lesson. A book on the subject may be a cheap investment. Even better, "bribe" someone that has the experience and that you trust into helping you through the process.

FWIW Squale,

The O-470-U continental six cylinder I just bought for my airplane was a Western Skyways rebuild. It came balanced, with pretty much everything new except the case halves and crank. Came with 6 new ECI titan cylinders and a warrantee. I paid roughly 19K for it. That's the engine, carb, mags, plugs, harness, starter and shipping.

In your situation, if the engine quits I would just find a good mechanic and have them do a shop overhaul. Considering the airplane and it's intented audience I doubt a factory reman would add much value in the end.

Bill

Yes, a field overhaul could be had for considerably less. However, you'd still be flying around with the old mags, carb, exhaust, cylinders, pistons, rings, carb, alternator, etc. All of which can be problematic with time.

Another thing to consider is even if that 0200 is under 1800 hrs, it still can be over TBO. I recall there being a time in years limit too.