alpha06 Guest

symbol onthe approach plate

This is probably something I should know, but Its been a while and thats why I have such great folks onthis message board.

On the approach plates in the profile plan, whats that lightning bolt loking symbol mean?

If you find a symbol you don't recognize, look for it in the LEGEND at the front of the book (assuming NACO, I don't know from Jepp, but there's probably one there too).

The "lightning bolt symbol" is the Glide Slope Intercept Altitude.

The PCG says:
    GLIDESLOPE INTERCEPT ALTITUDE- The minimum altitude to intercept the glideslope/path on a precision approach. The intersection of the published intercept altitude with the glideslope/path, designated on Government charts by the lightning bolt symbol, is the precision FAF; however, when the approach chart shows an alternative lower glideslope intercept altitude, and ATC directs a lower altitude, the resultant lower intercept position is then the FAF.
    -harry

alpha06 Guest
    Thanks hm. I am not in a location wher I have access to any flying materials.

Spot Guest
    The internet has a lot of flying materials on it.

Definitive: Chart Symbols

lindy500 Guest
    Excellent link, Mike! I saved the files. Great resource for my instrument training.

Thanks!