Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    psycodude Guest
    I didn't think you could get much for 50k, maybe a ragged out 172. The thing about really old and high time airplanes is they're constantly down for repairs.

You could definitely get a nice 150/152 for well under 50 grand.

bravodelta79 Guest
    Originally posted by psycodude
    I didn't think you could get much for 50k, maybe a ragged out 172. The thing about really old and high time airplanes is they're constantly down for repairs.

Or two of them! (You know, for when one is in the shop.)

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/search.jsp...odelgroup=true

gunthernsons Guest
    Well, I have my thoughts on both, but I would go for the Cessna 172. I'm a big guy; so in the piper my legs are crammed into the yoke with the seat all the way down and back. In the cessna I only have this problem if I am trying to hold a x-wind correction on a soft takeoff/landing. The cherokee I flew cruised at 100, the cessna I regularly fly cruises at 115.

I would go Cessna for the following reasons.

1) easier to find knowledgable mechanics.
    2) parts are cheaper since here are more STC PMA.
    3) parts are avaliable.
    4) 2 doors, easy in and out
    5) resale.

The piper would be a close second.

Raph Guest
    Here's a twist maybe worth looking into:

Yes it's used as our tow plane but we have flown it comfortably from Brussels to Nice.

It's our very own DR-400 (see pic).

It even looks cool to boot....

Also, and this is my favorite part. It's got a stick !!!!

I wish Cessnas would have sticks. It's much more intuitive IMHO.

Soooo, for multi-purpose, it's about the best bang for the buck you can get.

Raph

P.S. JJBAKER, I'm learning to tow with our DR-400 and have done just over 10 tows with instructor. He says he can let me go solo as soon as I get my papers in order with the theoretical JAR Belgium Airspace test.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Raph; 05-16-2007 at 03:22.

AceAirspeed Guest
    Originally posted by Raph
    It even looks cool to boot....
    Sorry Raph. You've been in Europe too long. Please come home before it gets worse...

technomayor Guest
    Originally posted by psycodude

I have a 51 year old 172 that cost well under $50k. It is not "ragged out" and not high time (3,500 hours) and it is NOT constantly down for repairs.

Just do your homework and you can find a nice plane for under $50k.

It's going to be tough to find a Cherokee Six for under $50k that's worth flying...

Overgross Guest
    Lots of Piper Cubs out there that are 60 years old and are hardly ever down for repairs. Far less than 50K to boot.

HIGHwing Guest
    Originally posted by jerryp
    It's going to be tough to find a Cherokee Six for under $50k that's worth flying...
    ...and worth maintaining, insuring, paying tie down/hangar.

From my own research on insurance, which is extremely recent, until you have at least an IR + 300TT you should stay away from 6 seats. The only way you're going to be able to get a nice flyable, reliable Six on that budget is quite simply a partnership.

There's a partnership opportunity in Richmond, VA on a Six... It's beautiful, shares are $18k, six owners currently. http://www.aso.com/aircraft/105519/

If I had only $50k to work with I'd probably purchase a 172, or a Pitts. If I had $50k plus a loan I'd probably look closely at something Turbo'ed. The turbo singles will do more all day long and deliver miles of smiles.
    Last edited by HIGHwing; 05-16-2007 at 08:02.

Raph Guest
    Originally posted by AceAirspeed
    Sorry Raph. You've been in Europe too long. Please come home before it gets worse...

I think AceAirspeed might just be right there...

But my all time favorite plane is also under 50kUSD.

[CorsairAce... not a word.... by the way we have another jumper on bord -> JJBAKER]

Raph

P.S. Hey if you can fly that you can fly anything. I have been looking for the owner of it or another one. I'd love to try it and I would buy it, just like the 2CV Car...

I know... it's unique for a good reason; but it would get noticed more at Oshkosh than any fancy new jet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JJBAKER Guest
    There: Like new, almost a TAA!

http://www.controller.com/listings/d...8F2259F80C154B

or here: put a dent in it and the seller can fix it!

Or a dramahawk: with a towbar, in case you don't have AAA...

Or some serious twintime: bargain!

JJBAKER Guest
    Originally posted by Raph
    [CorsairAce... not a word.... by the way we have another jumper on bord -> JJBAKER]
    Nope, I prefer to sit upfront and look smart, by the time the fellas start putting their live into the hands of some czech nylonproducer that was outta business years ago... did you know: in a porter you can get rid of that last student-jumper by shortly establishing a 90 degree bank and hit the rudder the other way? Flupp...
    naww, thats not nice, 'd never do that...

wildblueyonder Guest
    Thanks for all of your input.

I would like the ability to carry a few people. My folks live about 200 miles away, and flying will provide me the ability to see them more often.

There is a lot out there, but I think the 180 HP would be pretty important...... do you agree?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by wildblueyonder; 05-16-2007 at 09:04.

HIGHwing Guest
    JJB-

Looking through your selections of aircraft on controller, is very interesting.

Anyway, what came to mind is that the OP should buy the $16k Cessna, run off about 200 hours and then upgrade to the Six. It would actually be cheaper all the way around. The insurance even for someone with .9 TT is only going to be about $1,200 a year (at the absolute most) and then when it's time for the Six, the insurance for 300TT + IR, and maybe 25 in make will be much less expensive. I'd assume that a .9 hour pilot looking to purchase a six would be prevented from a solo, unless enough money was applied to the table. I've heard a couple guys with Cirri have insured as a student with NationAir for about $12k/annually and they were able to solo, etc. NationAir has funny limits though on things like your first IFR solo based on time in type, etc.

WBY -
    I can't believe I'm about to say this, because I'm probably the absolute worst about this, buuuuutttt..
    You don't need a Six to complete that mission. 200nm is easily within the range of a 172 and you'll only use about 20 gallons of fuel doing it. In fact, I think you'll find a 172 will fit that mission well, unless of course you need a heavier hauler.

I really can't believe I just said buy less aircraft, it didn't even feel right.
    Last edited by HIGHwing; 05-16-2007 at 09:01.