Problem with Cessna "Cleared for Takeoff" Program

I bought this set of Cessna Pilot Center CDs off EBay and have been through many of the Labs- even some in the 2nd half which are supposed to be unlocked by the Cessna center. However, when I tried to open Lab 12 this morning the required floppy diskette is apparently damaged. My CFI is not at a Cessna Pilot Center, so he can't help.

Anyone know where I could get another floppy? Without it the program is apparently useless!

bravodelta79 Guest
    What is this "floppy disk" you speak of?

(KIdding. Did you try Cessna direct?)

LOL bravodelta! It is a pretty archaic term, no? I bought the last computer ever made with a floppy drive I think! First time I've ever used it.

Never thought about calling Cessna. Figured they'd ask which CPC I bought the program from. I just left a message with the ebay seller to see if they could get me a new one. They regularly sell this program. We'll see what happens....

Just wondering, how much did you pay?

I have one of those that's collecting dust.

PaulThomas, I paid $175.

mad_c Guest
    I have the same issue with my "cleared for approach" set...and I actually took Instrument Ground at a CPC.

One of these days I'll call cessna as well.

Thanks, I'm going to have to post mine there.

Does anybody have experience with buying and registering a "used" CPC course? Will they allow you to register the course, if somebody else has already registered it in the past? I recall seeing language in the King Schools copyright stuff before that suggests the course is only licensed for use by the purchaser, the license isn't transferable, etc., to discourage people passing the course along from person to person instead of everybody buying a fresh copy.

I have a fine collection of these things sitting around, and I'd like to offload them on eBay, but I wonder what the buyers will have to face when they try to register them.
    -harry

Maverick Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hm
    Does anybody have experience with buying and registering a "used" CPC course? Will they allow you to register the course, if somebody else has already registered it in the past?
    I do. If it has been reg'd before, you are in the sh*t. Word to wise - don't buy or sell them off of Ebay. If you do have a copy you bought, you can get around the registration thing by just watching the MPG Videos of each lesson off your CDROM Drive. In fact that is what I do today when reviewing my old ones since I no longer have a floppy drive for my disk.

FYI, the EBay seller I bought my program from sent me the file I needed to make a new floppy. He was a real trouper with nothing to gain from me. All is well. I have access to all of the CD's again.

He says that after the initial use of the floppy to open up the 2nd half of the course, you should not need the floppy again. Do not save your progress to the floppy if you intend to resell the course!!!

Maverick Guest
    I would be real careful about buying and using these things off of Ebay. As a pilot you will learn the law of aviation. No need to test the the laws of software licenses. You could be sued.