swisspilot Guest

IFR "cheat sheet"

Hi guys, I m looking for some ideas for an IFR cheat sheet, something to write down in a neat way: clearances, altitudes, freq, holdings...... When I was in training I had just a white piece of paper with CRAFT on it, but I have seen some cool layouts with the space to write important in-flight information. Any ideas? How you guys write down stuff?

I need this for a CFII lesson

Thx

Alex

I made one with by cutting a notebook cover (the kind with the clear plastic cover) in half and slipping a piece of paper behind the plastic that has CRAFT written down the left side. The I got one of these;

http://www.pilotmall.com/product/IFR...strument-books

and just put the CRAFT paper in the first plastic sleeve.

I use a grease pencil to write down clearances. In a pinch, you can use the grease pencil to write on the windows.

I don't like forms, they're too restrictive for my taste. I prefer writing things freehand on my little notebook. One advantage is that I'm not lost when I have to file unexpectedly.

That being said, I made this checklist for my checkride. I have the excel file, send me a PM with your email address if you want it; the software won't take xlsx attachements.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wayne Guest
    Do you mean something like these (see attached docs)? I put these together to get the information I need for a flight.

I use them. I have two for my Angel Flight mission tomorrow (out and back).
    Attached Files Attached Files

D.RayMorton Guest
    I don't use any pre-fab forms or anything, but recently I have added some columns to my blank kneeboard paper. In the top left corner I write my CRAFT clearance stuff, then in the lower left quarter of my paper I draw in 5 separate columns (in table form) with column headings titled "ALT", "HDG", "FREQ", "ATIS", and "MA". Every time I receive a new altitude, heading, atc freq, ATIS letter id, or missed approach instructions, I write it in the appropriate column and scratch out the previous one with a single line thru it. It keeps things organized, I don't have to rely on my foggy short term memory to recall what heading the controller told me to fly 2 seconds ago, and I can refer back to prior frequencies that I used if I need to. Then there is plenty of blank space left over on the page to scribble whatever else needs scribbling. Seems to be a good system for me, and my instructor was impressed enough with it that he has adopted it for use when he flies the Citation for his normal corporate job.
    Last edited by D.RayMorton; 10-01-2009 at 22:30.

You really only need to have a few things written down for an IFR flight:

Departure ATIS/weather
    Clearance
    Arrival ATIS

Everything else is better suited for memory, or a blank notepad.

A clearance read to me as:
    "Cessna 1234, cleared to DRT via the Industry 3 departure, Junction transition, then as filed, climb and maintain 4 thousand, expect 9 thousand ten minutes after, departure frequency 126.67 squawk 1234."

Would be written by me as:
    drt idu3.jct af 4/9 :10 126.67 1234

Everything in that line can be recognized as what it is, without having to split it up any more than that.

Direct can be written as either two periods (IDU direct JCT would be idu..jct) or a D with a line through it (like the button on the gps for direct, without the arrow)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no "right" way to write down all the details, but don't get too caught up in a specific format or form for it. Teach your students CRAFT, and tell them that that is just a starting point, and that they should find a system that will work for them, because each person organizes their thoughts differently.