Thanks

DC SFRA Flight Plan ?

I've always filed my SFRA flight plans on the phone with a briefer but having lately gotten briefers in Miami and a variety of other places that are totally untrained and clueless on what I'm asking for, I'm going to start filing via DUATS. I've looked all around the FAA FAASTeam web site and at the NOTAM and I can't find any guidance on how exactly to file. I know it's filed as an IFR plan but what do you put in the ROUTE, DESTINATION, and REMARKS fields? Most often I'm departing ANP headed out the PALEO gate, or the reverse of that.

Even if I don't file online and get another clueless briefer, I need to be able to lead them step by step on exactly what to put in the plan. Thanks in advance for the help!

Wes

Thanks
    type: IFR
    departure: kanp
    destination: paleo
    ETE: 0010 (however many minutes it will take you to exit the SFRA)
    route: DIRECT (or leave blank, depending on requirements of duat interface).
    remarks: SFRA DUATS
    altitude: VFR/025 (e.g. if planning initial altitude of 2500MSL)
    Destination Contact: (I typically put an FBO number here, airport manager, whatever)

Everything else as usual. Note that you file an IFR flight plan, even though you plan a VFR departure. For your return flight, just reverse the 'departure' and 'destination'.
    -harry
    Last edited by hm; 01-27-2010 at 10:01.

Thanks
    Actually, the DC SFRA flight plan using entry gates as defined in 91.161 is only if you're planning a VFR flight into the SFRA. In that case, the flight plan covers only your part of the trip that's within the SFRA. When going there, list the gate you'll be using as the departure point and the airport you're going to inside the SFRA as the destination. Reverse those for leaving the area. They want you to put DC SFRA in the remarks section.

If on an IFR flight plan, just file airways etc as you normally would.

I taught a seminar on this for the FAASteam and we had an FAA lawyer in the audience. He got up and listed a few of the ways people are getting busted, and the most common one was squawking VFR inside the SFRA.

There's also a requirement for pilot operating VFR within 60 nm of the DCA VOR to take the FAA course on the SFRA.

He also cautioned about using charted ground features (stacks, towers etc) as proof that you were outside the SFRA. Apparently, the exact location of these features may or may not be plotted on a a sectional or TAC. His advice is to give the SFRA a 5 nm buffer.

Thanks
    Wes,

Each FSS station has a phone #. Since most of my flights originate from S. FL I call Miami directly. Next time you're on the phone with a local briefer, ask them for the direct #.

While I still call, I haven't had to go through the menu since OSH... I didn't have the local number and figured calling FL would be pointless.

TheRealOrange Guest
    What Harry said, with one change. While I assume they know which SFRA, I use "DC SFRA DUATS" in the remarks field.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryp View Post
    Actually, the DC SFRA flight plan using entry gates as defined in 91.161 is only if you're planning a VFR flight into the SFRA.
    Jerry, that's true about the DC SFRA flight plan vis a vis VFR, but the reference is 93.339 for the requirements/prerequisites for flying VFR the DC SFRA/FRZ. The reference to 91.161 is for the training requirement before operating within 60 miles.

93.339 makes mention of the the DC SFRA flight plan but doesn't specify what should be in one. Since I've always filed mine by asking a briefer to do it for me, I didn't care about the specifics of it. But if LM is going to continue to erode the service we get when we call, I'll just file online from now on.

Paul, I used to call Leesburg directly but they changed the policy there to only accept direct calls for the FRZ there. With all the downsizing going on at Lockheed/Martin FS I wouldn't even know who to call directly anymore. Most often when I call 800-WXBRIEF, I get Raleigh-Durham. Is there chart or listing of surviving FSS's somewhere?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hm View Post
    type: IFR
    departure: kanp
    destination: paleo
    ETE: 0010 (however many minutes it will take you to exit the SFRA)
    route: DIRECT (or leave blank, depending on requirements of duat interface).
    remarks: SFRA DUATS
    altitude: VFR/025 (e.g. if planning initial altitude of 2500MSL)
    Destination Contact: (I typically put an FBO number here, airport manager, whatever)

Thanks Harry - that's exactly what I was looking for.

CleoBen Guest
    Wes,

Anytime I file an FRZ flightplan, I call the Washington Hub AFSS - 866-225-7410 rather than 800WXBRIEF. Once connected, press 1 for FRZ and 2 for all other SFRA operations.

I've only used option 1, and they know the "gate" procedures and the questions to ask. They've often (on request) input my entire route after departing the gate with "REQ FF" in the remarks for a smooth handoff after leaving the SFRA. Very professional and courteous - never had any problems with them. Pressing option 2 may just transfer you to WXBRIEF

CB

Thanks
    I was playing around with the AOPA Internet Flight Planner and noticed you could file from there as well. Anyone have experience filing DC SFRA planes they'd like to share?

mad_c Guest
    Well being an FRZ guy, I just dial the direct Leesburg number, so I haven't had any issues with briefers being uninformed about our operations and procedures. They apparently use caller ID, and have my pre-stored info on hand as soon as they receive my call.

I just wish we had the ability to file electronically, like the SFRA-only folk can.

CleoBen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_c View Post
    i just wish we had the ability to file electronically, like the sfra-only folk can.
    ^^^ +1 ^^^

TheRealOrange Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_c View Post
    Well being an FRZ guy, I just dial the direct Leesburg number, so I haven't had any issues with briefers being uninformed about our operations and procedures. They apparently use caller ID, and have my pre-stored info on hand as soon as they receive my call.

I just wish we had the ability to file electronically, like the SFRA-only folk can.
    The last few times I have flown, I've used a briefer and had no problems. All of the planes I have are "pre-stored" so I just give the identifier and they already have most of the information. I just need to give the stuff that changes, e.g., outbound gate, fuel, pilot name. I've primarily been using briefers as confirmation of my analysis of the weather (as best I can). I hope I don't run into the problems Wes did the next time I try to file. If I do, I'll go back to using DUATS.