Microsoft Flight

Downloaded it last week...It's pretty cool but I still prefer FSX. It's worth the free download.

I havent had a chance to try out flight, what makes FSX better? Might have to try it out this weekend a bit though.

Apparently my video card isn't good enough. I was thinking about getting a second one anyway.

FSX is much more comprehensive and aimed at the simmer or pilot. You can fly anywhere in the world, there's ATC and with add-ons you can fly incredibly sophisticated and realistic airplanes in high quality regions/airports. Microsoft Flight was created to appeal to a wider audience so it's more like a game. Plus they only have one area of the world you can fly (Hawaii) and even most of the islands you can't access unless you pay for them. I was hoping for a wider range of aircraft stock and I thought it was going to be like FSX where you can fly anywhere in the world.

It has potential and is fun to play around with it (the UI is well done and the default textures are good) but FSX has everthing I require for a realistic flight simulator experience.

It does look nice. But it would be a limiting factor if you cant fly all around the world. I will check it out but keep FX for instrument training and rainy days. Thanks for your review!

No problem! Here's a much more in-depth review from Fly Away Simulation...

http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/43...flight-review/

5hredder Guest
    I downloaded the game and played it yesterday. It was really fun but that's all it is, a game.

I don't believe it was made to satiate the needs of the avid aviation simmer. It's more of a casual game for the average aviation enthusiast.

And what the hell is up with the Icon A-5?!

No VSI, no engine instruments, no HI, no turn and bank coordinator!

I agree totally...I've played it enough times to know without a doubt it's just an online game. As an aviation geek, I still can find elements about it to enjoy but realism is not to be found. Still, not bad for a free download. What irked me is I went ahead (early on) and paid for the P-51...At the time they didn't tell you there was NO COCKPIT! I was really fumed over that.

And what the hell is up with the Icon A-5?!

No VSI, no engine instruments, no HI, no turn and bank coordinator!
    I noticed the same lack of instruments on the panel of the Icon mock up at OSH last year--but then, they had to leave something out to get the price down to $139,000.

Cary

5hredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I noticed the same lack of instruments on the panel of the Icon mock up at OSH last year--but then, they had to leave something out to get the price down to $139,000.

Cary
    I'd rather they include the traditional instruments and make it a bit more expensive because, you know, I like to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by 5hredder View Post
    I'd rather they include the traditional instruments and make it a bit more expensive because, you know, I like to stay alive.
    From what I gather, the Icon A5 was never meant to be anything more than a toy. They were trying to simplify the flying experience (kind of like Microsoft Flight!).

If you watch some of the interviews of the designer, he talked about having just the bare essentials. If I remember correctly, he considers the angle-of-attack indicator to be the most important gauge for flying.

All of that said, I REALLY want one... I think it would be a riot to fly around on those nice summer days. Maybe tie it up to a house boat, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sector95 View Post
    From what I gather, the Icon A5 was never meant to be anything more than a toy. They were trying to simplify the flying experience (kind of like Microsoft Flight!).

If you watch some of the interviews of the designer, he talked about having just the bare essentials. If I remember correctly, he considers the angle-of-attack indicator to be the most important gauge for flying.

All of that said, I REALLY want one... I think it would be a riot to fly around on those nice summer days. Maybe tie it up to a house boat, too!

I agree. Reminds me of a really cool jetski. Can you take it on long trips, yes, but do you really want to? Probably not. A friend's father thought of getting his sport pilots just to get one and fly to the beach each weekend. I would fly one if I had the opportunity as it would be fun, but I wouldnt trade another aircraft for it.