Taildragger Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taildragger Training

So I'm going to Northwoods Aviation in Cadillac, MI to get my tailwheel training next week in a J3. I've been waiting for a year to do do this...now that I've finally saved enough money instructing I'm going to do it. I'm hoping once this is done to convince my uncle to let me start flying his Super Decathalon off his grass strip.

I've read Chapter 13 from the AFH a couple times...anybody else got some tips before I head up there next week?

Once you start to figure out 3 point landings your instructor will move on to wheel landings. You will be convinced they're not possible and you will 3 point forever. You will figure it out though

Comment

Originally posted by 42jeff View Post
      So I'm going to Northwoods Aviation in Cadillac, MI to get my tailwheel training next week in a J3. I've been waiting for a year to do do this...now that I've finally saved enough money instructing I'm going to do it. I'm hoping once this is done to convince my uncle to let me start flying his Super Decathalon off his grass strip.

I've read Chapter 13 from the AFH a couple times...anybody else got some tips before I head up there next week?
      Yes. Read "Stick and Rudder" on landings.

Bob Gardner

Comment

FWIW, you'll find that the Super Dec is a whole lot easier to land (wheel landings or 3 pointers) than a J3. For one thing, you can see!

Disclaimer: I haven't flown a J3, and it's been something like 34 years since I last flew a Super Dec, although I did fly a Citabria about a dozen years ago. All the later versions based on the Champ are super easy to fly, land, etc.--extraordinarily forgiving airplanes, and a lot of fun.

Cary

Comment

Well got her done

Flew 4.5 hrs and got 22...or so...landings. All but three of them on grass. It was really an eye opening experience but very VERY fun.

Comment

Working...
          X