The ultimate classic, a J-3 Cub, is what comes to mind when most people think of “a lightplane”. Early versions were built by the Taylor Aircraft Company in the mid-1930’s. After the corporate name changed, the airplane became the Piper J-3 Cub. Soon, the Continental A-65-powered J-3 earned its reputation as the definitive two-place primary-instruction aircraft. It was well respected by operators and students alike and was used extensively during World War II in the Civilian Pilot Training Program for basic flight instruction. Although it was a “floater” on the flare, when landing, the Cub was always a forgiving airplane to fly. It was also much admired for its lifelong safety record. As slow as it was (75 miles per hour), with tremendous short-field capabilities, a forced landing in a Cub was more like bringing in a medium-performance glider. J-3’s were frequently used on floats and/or skis and were sometimes even converted to tricycle gear.